Cyprus Digital Nomad Visanconstantinou
The Cyprus government recently announced a specific visa programme, with several incentives for people who would like to take advantage of all the benefits of living on the island, while working for companies who operate outside the country (“remote working”).
The beneficiaries for the digital nomad visa are non-EU or non-EEA nationals who:
- work remotely using information and communications technology
- are employed and work remotely by their own company or another company, located outside of the Republic of Cyprus or are self-employed and their customers are located outside of the Republic of Cyprus
- can prove that they have sufficient and adequate monthly income to support their living in Cyprus, of at least €3,500, after the deduction of contributions and taxes
Digital Nomads will be granted a residence permit and will benefit from:
- the right to stay in Cyprus for up to one year, with the possibility to renew for two more years.
- the beneficiaries family members can also stay in Cyprus for the same period and be granted with a residence permit that expires at the same time as the permit of the individual. The family members, however, are not allowed to provide dependent work or to engage in any kind of economic activity in Cyprus
- In case the Digital Nomads will spend more than 183 days in Cyprus during the same calendar year, then they will be considered Cyprus tax residents. Those that spend less than 6 months but more than 60 days, may also be considered as Cyprus tax residents subject to specific criteria.
Interested parties can enter Cyprus with the use of a tourist visa and submit an application to the Civil Registry and Migration Department within three months from their arrival to Cyprus.
In case the applicant is already residing in Cyprus under a different status, and fulfills the prerequisites then, can can apply to the Civil Registry and Migration Department, to obtain the digital nomad visa.
It should be noted that the initial limit for the Digital Nomad visas are 500 applications.